Stuff Under the Header

8/29/2009

First Weekly Update

Not much to actually talk about for this week. Things are coming along though, and a new demo is definitely within sight. Possibly within 2 weeks!

I do have 2 screen shots to show!






















You can click on the images to make them bigger. That's what she said... wait, that doesn't even make sense.




You know... adding in screen shots to this blog is kinda clunky. Anyway, I will have more to say next week... or maybe after work tonight. o_O

Random Game Stuff

I was watching my roommate play Majora's Mask on the virtual console and I suddenly had memories of when I first played that game. While not as great as Ocarina of Time, a certain part of the game always stuck with me.

It was that very first 3 days without the Ocarina. I remember how hectic those first 3 days felt. Here I was, stuck in an unfamiliar world without friends, stuck in a Deku Shrub's body, I have no clue what's going on and the only person who seems to be able to help me is a nut job mask salesman. On top of this, in 3 days this giant moon is going to crash right in the middle of this town that I can't leave because some asshole guards says its too dangerous for a lonely shrub to leave. "FML" says Link.

Apparently I needed to get on top of the clock tower, which only opens up on the night of some festival, which coincidentally happens on the same night the moon is going to hit the town. (no pun intended) Now when the tasks to actually get up there are put into perspective, its all incredibly simple, but remember, we don't know that. All we know is that we're alone, we don't know how to get up there and this moon is going to end the world. I remember the sense of dread that the time limit placed on me. Every moment counted, I frantically ran about trying to find someone or some clue that could help me get up there. A flying deku thingy will let me up there, sweet! But he wants a Moon Tear? wtf is a Moon Tear and how do I get one? Okay, go find a missing fairy, got that. Go find these 5 hiding kids... THE MOON IS GOING TO HIT IN LESS THAN 48 HOURS, WTF!! I just want to ask this guy in your hideout about a Moon Tear, stop hiding you little fucks! I'm sure you remember when a new day starts and it does that boom sound and shows you -24 hours remain- . I saw that when I had one kid left to find. Needless to say, I just wanted to find this damn kid. I find him finally, I've only got like 17 hours left. Damn it! Okay, I run in the hideout, piss off Skulltulas! Okay, look through this telescope... NO, give me the Moon Tear you old fart, we only have 12 hours left to live! I start to make my way to the flying deku thingy when just then, the doors to the clock tower open and the festival starts. Everything has this red tint, the music has this low creepy (and somewhat sad) tone to it and maybe... 2 people are out. Everyone is gone. The clock has disappeared and been replaced with a timer. I have less than 6 minutes left to get to the Skull Kid. I get the Moon Tear, and bring it to the flying deku thingy. Yay, he moved! I fly up to the clock tower and run to the top. I get bombarded with these 4 locations and bringing something here. Dude, we have 5 minutes left to live, wtf are you talking about. Now this section is actually very easy, the Skull Kid doesn't actually do anything here, but again, we don't know that, we're freaking out. 5 minutes to get my Ocarina back? wtf do I do!? Oh... just hit him with a bubble. I play the Song of Time and poof, I've suddenly gone back 3 days.

This whole first scenario was amazingly well done and a great introduction to the game. I liked the time limit the game had. It never got in the way even when playing through dungeons. It did give that sense that you needed to be quick. But seriously, if you slow down time, that's roughly 2 1/2 hours you have to complete a dungeon, which is more than enough.

No comments: