Stuff Under the Header

5/16/2012

Mega Apples

Edit: (May 21, 2012) The update today (NOW I'm done... I hope) fixes a few things that I forgot about on yesterday's update. Also adds the end boss to the boss mode, cause it was asked for. I gotta stop giving in to player demand. <3

Edit: (May 20, 2012) There we go, DT1 updated... AGAIN!! D:
This actually has a number of changes. The biggest one, which everyone asked for;
- A boss replay mode, which unlocks after the game is completed on any setting. You'll be able to replay any boss on any setting from the boss mode, which can be reached from the title screen. You'll see instructions on-screen.
- The Shroud Lord had a small change. Some of you may remember the crazy laser sequence near the end of the encounter. If you dropped his HP down too low, it would spawn in a permanent laser from the phase after, that has been fixed. That laser spam sequence should make a lot more sense now.
- A few things are prettier, such as the '1 pixel off ' bugs in the skill menu were fixed. The near death red screen corner blood things... or whatever, are fuzzier now.
- The Vamp Bead has been changed from regenerating '1 HP per 150 damage dealt' to '1 HP per 40 damage dealt'. That's a 320% boost! Should be a lot more useful now. (Too bad you don't get it till right at the end.)
- Water Barrier lasts 1/6 seconds (5 frames) longer cause I just couldn't go without changing it, it would almost be a crime now to not do so.
Oh man, all the added content only increased the compressed file size up by 0.09kb. Code is cheap.

Edit: (May 18, 2012) The next DT1 update (which will come in a day or so) will have a boss replay mode which unlocks after the game is completed on any setting. It's not a boss rush mode nor does it keep any records. It's simply a place in the game that allows you to retry any boss on any difficulty. After completing the game, you can press the [P] key on the title menu to go to it. The game will also inform you about how to get into it. This seemed to be in high demand. Anyway, back to DT3...

Now I'm suddenly thinking of Lemina from Lunar 2.

My daily schedule and stuff to do will be changing, starting tomorrow. I don't know if it's going to leave me with less time for hobbies or not just yet. If so, I don't think by that much.

That HUD will be reworked later.















As the image shows, wall sliding (and wall jumping) make a return. It's not in the game's overall design to have it, but I did want a place for it. Seeing how there's a Gate level based off MMX... well yeah. It will be exclusive to that Gate. Since the levels don't need to be designed like they were in DT2, I've got a lot more freedom with the wall jump this time. DT2 levels all had to be designed for the player to able to speed through them, (aside from Room 2-3B.) as well as being able to chain every enemy. (You can actually chain all of 2-3B, it's just very hard.)

Air dashing makes a return as well, but not in this Gate. I didn't want to give it to the player here and then take it away for the next chapter and a half until it's actually gained, so to make up for no air dashing, which was a huge thing when used in tandem with wall jumps in DT2, the player can dash off walls when sliding. Same with wall jumps, dashing off walls can only be done in this Gate. It also consumes dash energy, though since it doesn't give quite as many invincibility frames as a normal dash, it only uses 3/4 of a bar. (You'll still need a full bar active to use a wall dash.)

That level above is going to take awhile to make due to the background tiles. Fun fun. Also since the full game isn't going to be released till after the end of the world, I'm going to wait a bit and include the very beginning of Chapter 8 for the last DT3 demo update. (Also I'd like to fix up some minor things for Chapter 7.)

Something something, ponies, something.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, since you're doing bug-fixes still on DT1, I thought I'd point out a couple big ones I found.

In the Super Mario Land-themed Distortion area, the Shroud Lord attacks a couple times. The first encounter I had with him, he fired off an energy ball at the same time I scared him off. When it hit me, I got the Game Maker bug-window (where you can click "ignore" or "abort" or whatever and it shows the issue with the coding)and the bug-window popped up for every single frame that the attack made contact with Jerry. That was the only one of those that hit me, so I don't know if it was something to do with the timing or the attack itself. Also, I didn't save a copy of the bug-report, unfortunately, so I can't really show you exactly what happened.

The other issue I found was in the battle with the Fourth Wall Breaker, or whatever it's called. I managed to cripple it and used Boomerang Cutter spam to kill it while it was in it's super/panic mode (with the multiple red spike rings). It died, but after the text bit afterwards, the spike rings kept coming. I was really low on health, so I ran like hell back to the save room. When I came back out, the spikes didn't appear anymore, so that fixed it. It just would have really sucked if it had killed me after beating the actual boss.

I haven't updated the game recently, and I'm still running version 1.0.2.1, so I don't know if newer versions of the game have already fixed these issues or not. Still having a blast on it, though. Last time I tried playing the game, I got stuck at Veiled Detritus, and then PC issues made me have to delete everything and I had to start over. Kind of a shock to see how close I was to the endgame this entire time. (I'm at the Secured Data Sector now, or whatever it's called.)

ZephyrBurst said...

The one with the Fourth Wall Breaker has never been addressed, so after 3.9, that will be fixed. Though even if you lost to those things after the fight, you wouldn't have to re-fight it.
The Shroud Lord issue was fixed in 3.4 I believe.

WhattayaBrian said...

I too shall report some bugs!

1. I was in the Black Rock Fortress, and one of the soldiers (weak to wind, absorb shots) walked off the edge of a platform into a bottomless pit. Just before he despawned, he shot his bullet (fully uncharged). His despawn event then caused a fatal lua error.

2. DT3 demo: I believe there's something amiss with the second red bonus gate. I exited at the boss arena because I couldn't beat him. I noticed at that point that my key reading in the menu listed "-4". I went back in to the dungeon, and upon collecting the keys in the first room, it sequentially went to "-3", "-2", "-1", and finally "0". While I could successfully collect the keys, I could not open any of the four doors in the first area, locking me out of that dungeon seemingly indefinitely.

3. DT3 demo: Maybe not a bug, but...someone in Zelda-land said that bomb explosions can be used for jump boosts. For the life of me, I cannot cause this effect to occur--either the timing is hella strict, I'm completely misunderstanding it, or it's not working as intended.

4. No final boss fight available in boss rush area? :(

ZephyrBurst said...

1. Was gonna wait on another DT1 update, but that Black Rock crash bug will have it out very soon. What's happening there is the shot is trying to heal a target that isn't there. Forgot the exception if the target just isn't there. :x

2. That key bug is a weird one and I thought I fixed it. I'll take another look at it and I'll probably just replace the keys if it gives me too much trouble.

3. It's not working as intended yet, at the moments, it's very very finicky, I'll be getting to that before the Chapter 7 update is released.

4. Ya, since he's available at all times in the main game, but I suppose it won't be too much trouble to include him in the next update. :P

RivalNightmare said...

You REALLY like updating DT1 xD But it is really tuning into a more awesome game then before with all the bugfixes.

I am gonna be awesome and not report bugs so I am different. Hah.

RivalNightmare said...

....Damn, forgot to ask as I'm retarded.

How a bout a resolutio change? Those comments you put on the top is hilarious but it's a bitch to play in window mode when you use a 1920z1080 resolution.

Blargh.

ZephyrBurst said...

That I do, though keep a look out for a blog post later today about that very thing.

As for the resolution change, currently you can press F3 to double the window size, but some time in the future I will look into a resolution change for those with monstrous monitors. I'm currently use 1440x900, which is the max this laptop will go.