Stuff Under the Header

10/06/2015

Game Release: Distorted Travesty 3

Downloads
Some new download locations available now after the dropbox issue. Alice from the Talkhaus was awesome enough to host it where it'll have no bandwidth issues. Someone also uploaded it to mediafire, so you can also use that. The megafileupload site only keeps things for a week, so these are both welcome.

Alice's Link
Mediafire Link
Megafileupload Link

Oh man, it's that time finally! Time to delay the game just a bit longer...

Yep, there's a few things I gotta do to the game before I'm happy with it so I'm delaying about... 2 weeks or so.

But actually, the above is a lie, it's ALL a lie. The game is out and you can download it here or from the link on the side! You could even go to the DT3 page and download it there! Three whole ways to get it, all going in the same direction. Choices!

Its been a fun time making it. I could keep going, but after having the project this long, definitely much longer than I wanted, it's time to let it go and move to something else. As said before, this is my departure from sprite rip stuff and on to other things that aren't so intentionally derivative. I have a bazillion ideas and things I want to do now. I'll be playing around with some prototyping, and who knows, maybe I'll work with some other people this time. For at least a week though, I don't know if I'm going to touch any game tools. I'm gonna play some games, like more Planetside again, and this Undertale game that people have been raving out.

Some other random bits of things, but not so random. I definitely started to tire of the project after some time. I really wanted it finished last year, at the latest, April this year, but other priorities saw to that not being a thing. The game also became a bigger beast than I initially imagined. The last 3 months have been nothing but finishing touches, tweaks, a few other missing features, etc. I won't lie, sometimes it felt like it dragged on too much, and really, there are still things I could tweak on the game, but I'm just done. After 3 years of the game on and off, actually more than that, I just want to put it down and move onto something else. I love the project though and wanted to get it to a state that I was happy with, and it has reached that. I could tweak and tweak and fix up minor things for who knows how long, but it's just time to put it down. It's why I abruptly announced a release date for the game. I knew that if I gave it one in the state that it was in, I'd make sure to focus on the things that really needed to be tweaked and then be done with it.

So how did it turn out though? To me, the project came out great. Definitely my favorite of the three games. You'll certainly run into a mishap here and there, the game is HUGE, so you're bound to run into something less than perfect. That said, it's very stable and in a really good place, which came about largely due to the testers being on top of things. They did a good job, especially these last 3 months trying to find as much wrong with it as possible. This last week though, I just said to stop cause I was done. I love the project, but it needs to be done and out to people who are waiting on it. I'm very lucky that they care about the project so much. A big thanks to them again, and for putting up with me, especially this last week with me telling one in particular that I just didn't want to work on the project any longer.

Don't think that this means I won't patch bugs and such, but if you remember the first game's release, those patches will be until I am presented with crash bugs or super bad things. Anyway, enough rambling, you guys have waited for me to finish this long enough. Have fun and thanks for waiting. It was a fun time making it and lots of stuff was learned for future endeavors.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

first

ZephyrBurst said...

Someone had to be first and that someone was you.

bill o reilly said...

this game is really long.. i played for 3 minutes but still didnt won.

Marcus Eralice said...

Huzzah! Here's to much frustration and stress inducing gameplay! The wait was long, but at last, it is here. Now to find the time to play it...

NegativeZeroZ said...

you guys are bad, I beat the game like twice already

Garlyle said...

Congratulations, old bud!

I would be playing it today... if I... had finished DT1 on Distorted.

I should sit down and do that finally.

I'm so close to the end why must I put myself through this hell

Anonymous said...

Hi, i can´t download it there is too much traffic in that dropbox. :/ Maybe i need to wait longer haha.

Anonymous said...

mirror pls

Anonymous said...

omg, i love you zephyr <3

Alice said...

Oh man, as soon as the download is available again I know where my day is going.

Gpremier said...

I try to play the game...but it's painfully in slow motion! Is it because i'm on a Windows 64 bits machine?

Anonymous said...

Gpremier: i had a similar problem and fixed it by going to the options and turning off vsync. maybe modify other settings in the options too. imo, vsync is never a good idea in video games, and has historically been the cause of so many of my problems with video games, but opinions clearly differ.

if you've already done this, i'm sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Anonymous said...

I've got this error, after defeating Barba:
http://i.imgur.com/7MzIW4p.png?1
It is only here that this is happening?

gpremier said...

Desactivating the vsync and changing the option did help, but it's still too slow to be enjoyable. I didn't had a problem with the demo way back then, but i was with Windows vista 32 bits. Since i'm with Windows 8 64 bits, games done with older version of gamemaker and rpgmaker or stuff like that got slower...i admit this really pissed me off in numerous occasion! Normally Putting the game in Windows mode solve the problem, but not in your game case.

I guess i'll have to wait until i have a less troublesome computer in order to play this!

Anonymous said...

I played the game for an hour and a half and so far I am pretty disappointed. As far as I can tell, the first "world" consists of nothing but platforming and Mario-style "combat" disguised as platforming. Given how clunky the base platforming mechanics are in this game this is not really a good idea, let alone a good way to introduce players to the game. Without any DT2-like mobility such platforming is just awkward and tedious.

Also, not sure why you made the early game (and probably the entire game) so frustratingly difficult... the older I get the less patience I have for such needless difficulty especially when it is predicated on clunky platforming mechanics. Ain't nobody got time to replay the same level 15 times just to "master" a silly gimmick and move on to the next gimmick.

For what it's worth, I liked DT2 and what little I played of DT1, because of these games' mobility mechanics, like double jump and dash and whatnot. From what I playedso far, DT3 is so unsatisfying and annoying...

This harsh review may be influenced by the fact that I just spent 30 minutes trying and failing to beat the stupid lightning boss. I may just watch raocow play through this one instead.

Anonymous said...

"Also, not sure why you made the early game (and probably the entire game) so frustratingly difficult... the older I get the less patience I have for such needless difficulty especially when it is predicated on clunky platforming mechanics. Ain't nobody got time to replay the same level 15 times just to "master" a silly gimmick and move on to the next gimmick."

This game is difficult on purpose. Have you considered that this game is aimed at that demographic?

ZephyrBurst said...

I appreciate the defense there, but there's no need. I know what the game is and that it's going to get strong opinions in some cases. It's fine when the above is expressed, and in fact, I commend the Anonymous there for not going to personal attacks or outright saying "Your game sucks."

LostSoldier20 said...

I do have to agree that the start feels a lot harder in DT3 than in DT1. Especially the Nightmare Gate. I was doing Bullet Bill Fortress and on several attempts, I almost finished it, without healing, no deaths, on Nightmare. Nightmare Gate meanwhile, probably 100 deaths there alone.

Also, second gate. The sword slash just meant to be a "tip of the sword" is all that's effective kinda thing? I feel like there's a huge blind spot between Jerry and the attack box and I'm not sure how intentional that is. I dunno, might just be me, and it really only mattered for the super tiny slime spider things.

Anonymous said...

> This game is difficult on purpose. Have you considered that this game is aimed at that demographic?


DT1 and DT2 are difficult on purpose too. But they are not as tediously difficult as the beginning of this game. And without any of mobility mechanics that are present in the earlier two games, the beginning of this game is IMO just not interesting enough to suffer through its relatively high difficulty level.

But you're right, in the end the game is probably not for me.

Unknown said...

As previous comments stated, the first game gave you attacks, dashes, etc right from the beginning and taught you to use them efficiently in the very first level. While this game has had perfectly good level design so far on the standpoint, it's been more frustrating than fun. I thought the idea of Jeremy having to guide both Claire and Jerry to getting their basic powers back was cute and lead to some interesting opening levels, but as Gate 1 went on and on and on with me wondering when I would finally get to attack or dash or cast spells (If those are even in the game at all, not sure) the novelty wore off. Cackletta's boss fight would probably be super fun with dashes, and the pattern memorization has a good feel to it, but in the end, the fight goes on long enough and has the "If you get hit once before the final phase you might as well restart" feel that I can see many players just giving up in frustration. DT1 and 2 had some brick wall bosses, but this is definitely the first time I've hit such an extreme one and so early in the game.

Doesn't mean the game is bad or poorly designed! Even in these opening levels I can tell a TON of polish and heart went into them! But I can understand the difficulty being criticized, though.

Anonymous said...

I am finally at exit 2 and the game has gotten much better.

Unknown said...

Finally I can farm Awesome points until I am the most awesome person in the world!

http://imgur.com/mV9RY10

So happy to see the game released. Great Job so far Zephyr

luis guilherme said...

Man, talking about the ending, relax, no spoilers, but, what a bad ending man, even if i defeat Abomination the ensing still bad, you could do better than this to end the franchise, everyone is... arrrrgh, i personally didn't like this way to end everything!